Ever Tried Home Remedies as Your Weapon for Combating Dandruff.Home remedies for dandruff are effective, side effect free and economic.Going green and using natural products is trending , then why not try some natural ways to eliminate those nasty flakes.
What is Dandruff or Flaking/ Scurf ?
Dandruff, medically known as seborrheic dermatitis, or seborrhea, to be more specific seborrhea that occurs on the scalp is shedding of dead cells from the scalp in form of white flakes. Normal Flaking of dead cells is ok but excessive scaling may damage your hair and it can also lead to pimples and acne on forehead and back.
Dandruff may Lead to moderate to Excessive Hair fall
Dandruff sticks to the scalp and it tends to weaken the roots of hair which further leads to hair fall.
Also read : Home Remedies for Hair Fall
Causes and Natural Remedies for Dandruff
What causes dandruff ?
Poor head hygiene
Excessively dry scalp
Synthetic hair products (shampoos, conditioners, hair gels and sprays)
Intestinal disorders like constipation and indigestion.
12 Natural Remedies for Dandruff
1. Coconut Oil
The first and most widely used home remedy for dandruff is coconut oil. Warm the coconut oil and massage your scalp with this oil. keep it for atleast 12 hours and then rub the scalp gently with fingers or brush.
Also Read : Coconut Oil Uses and Benefits
2. Fenugreek Seed
3. Aloe vera Gel
4. The acidic Lemon juice
5. Eggs works Amazingly
Eggs are full with vitamins, Proteins and fatty acids which helps is removing scurf and replenishing the nutrients in the scalp. Eggs can also be used to treat dandruff. Take 2 eggs, beat them and mix with lukewarm water (caution: we do not want to poach the egg so take slightly lukewarm water just to break the chill). Apply this on the head (scalp and hair both). wash it off when it dries.
6. Apple Cider Vinegar Treatment for Dandruff
The anti fungal properties of apple cider vinegar makes it one of the best natural treatments for dandruff. Mix equal part of warm water with equal part of apple cider vinegar. Spay this mixture on your scalp and hair. Leave it for 15 mins and rinse it off. Be careful while spraying the mixture. It should not enter your ears or eyes. This is one of the best home remedies for dandruff
7. Yogurt a Natural Remedy
This is probably the simplest to do and cheapest of all dandruff home remedies. Apply the yogurt, leave it for 20-30 min and then wash it off. Do not let the yogurt dry out completely as it will make you hair dry. If you are using frozen yogurt then you must bring it to room temperature before applying on the scalp.
8. Brandy : Booze that Scurf
Just as beer makes a good homemade hair conditioner brandy makes a good home remedy for dandruff. Dampen a cotton ball with brandy and apply it on the scalp. Massage the scalp gently and rinse.
9. Thyme concoction for dandruff
10.The Camphor (Kaphoor in Hindi) Remedy
11. Oils for dandruff
Oil massage is the best way to pamper your tresses. Some of the oils that can be used for massaging the scalp during your anti dandruff regime are Olive oil, Coconut oil, almond oil, Neem oil with few drops of essential oils like Tea Tree Oil, Lavender Essential Oil, Chamomile essential oil etc.
12. Neem Oil (Indian Lilac Oil) and Paste for Dandruff
Neem is used for treating a variety of ailments in Ayurveda. It has anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties and it is used in various health and beauty products like shampoo, face-pack, tooth-paste, soap, face wash etc.
Neem can be employed to treat dandruff both in form of oil and paste. The scalp becomes dry and itchy due to dandruff, Neem oil can relieve you from this problem. Just massage your scalp with Neem oil and the redness and itching along with dandruff will go away.
Make paste by grinding fresh Neem leaves and apply it on the scalp. Leave it on for 15-20 mins and rinse off. If you find the smell too strong to tolerate you can shampoo your hair after rinsing away the neem paste.
The Do’s To Have Dandruff Free Hair
- Keep your scalp and hair clean. Wash them atleast twice a week.
- Cover your head with a scarf while going out to keep it safe from dirt, smoke and harmful sun rays.
- Dry scalp is a common cause of dandruff. Take oil massage on your head atleast once in a week.
- Limit the use of harsh chemical based hair styling products like hair styling gels and sprays.
- Use herbal shampoo instead of chemical based shampoo considering the texture and type of your hair.
- Dandruff on face can lead to acne problems. If you are suffering from dandruff then keep your hair off your face and forehead.
- If you are suffering form excessive dandruff problem then you also need to cut down on oily and spicy food to get rid of scurf.
Home remedies for dandruff treatment can be clubbed with use of some good anti dandruff products. But try choose herbal products and limit the use of chemicals on hair.
Latest posts by Karishma (see all)
- Living Room Ideas For Setting Up Fish Tanks - June 23, 2018
- Natural Air Fresheners Are Better Than Plugin Air Fresheners - May 31, 2018
- Coconut Oil Uses And Benefits For Skin And Beauty - May 24, 2018