This question hits the mind of every person whose sleeping partner snores….
Stertor as termed medically is the unpleasant sound that one makes when he/she breathes while sleeping. This is commonly known as snoring. It is caused due to the vibration of respiratory structures that are in relaxed/collapsed state while sleeping. These respiratory structures are mainly the uvula and the soft pallate (back of the roof of mouth). The vibration is respiratory structure is due to the blockage in the airway which causes obstruction in the air movement.
It’s actually pretty simple. There is always some kind of block in the breathing passages that cause snoring. The airflow in the breathing passage automatically becomes irregular if there is any block there.
As the airflow becomes irregular, the soft tissues in the breathing passage will start to flap, making the irritating snoring sound.
The noise really gets loud when the soft palate (soft part at the back of the upper part of the mouth) begins to flap around. This most often happens when the soft palate is weak (not too big like most people claim).
- While sleeping on back our tongue tends to fall back towards the throat and thus creates blockage in the airway. The sufferer should lay on his/her sides instead of resting on back.
- Elevating the head of the bed and taking pillows also facilitate the right posture that helps in minimizing the snoring problem.
- Smoking is not only hazardous for our overall health but it also adds to the snoring trouble as it aggrevates the tissues of the throat. so quit smoking and let your partner sleep well.
- Lose some weight if you are too bulky and overweight. The fatty tissue of your neck also causes blockage in the airway. This is probably the most effective remedy to stop snoring.
- Dont drink alcohol or coffee immediately before going to bed.
- Do not make a habit of taking sleeping pills. Do some sports activities during day instead, to keep yourself healthy and fit.
- You can also use nasal strips if you suffer from severe snoring problem.
- If nothing works for you then see an ENT specialist. there are variety of treatments available to check snoring problem.
- Do jaw exercises that helps you to stop snoring.
Latest posts by Karishma (see all)
- How To Choose The Best Citrus Juicer | Buying Guide - November 7, 2017
- Reverse Osmosis For Drinking Water Purification | Understanding RO Purifiers - September 26, 2017
- Most Affordable Beauty Subscription Box : GlamEgo Box India Review - September 8, 2017