A vegetable Pulao is a rice based dish, it is wholesome one pot meal and does not require any side dish to be served with it. Plain curd is just enough to compliment the flavors of this meal. Cooking food in pressure cooker saves time and energy. Just two whistles and you are ready with an attractive yummy Sunday lunch for your family.
Benefits of Making Pulao In a Pressure Cooker
Pressure cooker does not require stirring in between thus it reduces the efforts you need to put while cooking
Pressure Cooker saves time, as with the pressure build up inside the cooker, the food cooks faster
It saves energy (fuel)
Here is The How To Video For Preparing Veg Pulao Recipe In Pressure cooker
Ingredients For Making Vegetable Pulao
Chopped Assorted Vegetables
For this recipe I have taken
Soya Chunks 1 cup
Cauliflower 1 cup
Green Pea 1/2 cup
Other veggies that can go in this Pulao are
For The base
Onion 2 medium sized thinly sliced
Ginger Garlic Paste 1 and half tbsp (use fresh Ginger Garlic paste for this recipe)
Tomatoes 2 medium sized finely chopped
Slit Green Chillies 2
Green Cardamoms 6 nos
Peppercorns 1 1/2 tsp
Cloves 1/4 tsp
Bay Leaves Dried 2 nos.
Cinnamon stick 1 inch
Mace a small piece about 1/2 inch
Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
Red Chilly Powder 1 tsp
Corriander Powder 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Rice 2 1/2 Cups
Oil 4 tbsp
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker
- Add all the whole spices and allow them to splutter
- Add the thinly sliced onions and fry till they become golden brown. It should be fried nicely else it will remain parcooked and will come in your bites. I personally do not like onions coming in my morcels.
- Now put the ginger garlic paste and fry it well, till it is completeley cooked
- Next goes in are the chopped veggies and pre-soaked Soya chunks.
- Fry the veggies well, they should have some browning on them, then add the powdered spices and stir
- Add in the Tomatoes and allow everything to cook for about 7-10 minutes
- Once the Vegetables become slightly soft and all the masala is cooked nicely add the rice
- Mix well and add 4 1/2 cups water , add the slit green chillies
- Stir everything and ensure that there is no rice sticking to the bottom of the pressure cooker
- Taste the stock and check for salt, you can adjust the salt at this stage
- Cover and pressure cook for 2 whistles, first keep the flame on medium high and wait for the whistle
- After first whistle lower the flame and let the whistle come.
- Turn off the heat after the secong whistle and wait until the pressure goes down.
- Serve hot with plain curd or Boondi Raita.
Try my Yellow Rice recipe made with leftover rice.
Some Points to Remember
- You do not need to soak the rice when you are cooking your Pulao in a pressure cooker
- Pre soak the Soya chunks
- Do not chop the cuailiflowers into very small florets, as they may become mushy.
- Use your judgement for your pressure cooker, as different cookers have different cooking time.
- For normal rice recipe we add water just double of the quantity of the rice, but for pulao we add a little less water. For this recipe i have take 4 1/2 cup of water instead of 5 cups for 2 1/2 cups of rice.
Thats it! Hope you like the recipe, if you do please share it with your friends.