Tired and disappointed with the in-effectiveness, overpricing, toxic load and side effects of commercial facial scrubs more and more people are now finding their new alternatives that beats all the cons of a commercially formulated face scrub. The present era is witnessing returning to the roots approach of people, which is very well apparent in the world of beauty products too, and this is what gives me a valid reason and a strong encouragement to write this post where in I will be discussing the basics of making homemade face scrubs with the exfoliants available in the kitchen.
Face scrubs, whether natural, herbal or cosmetic are used to exfoliate the skin using a technique called scrubbing, i.e gently massaging the scrub on the skin. By doing this we aim to ward off the dead cells from the surface of the skin and cleaning the clogged pores, allowing the skin to breathe. The scrub not only removes the dead cells but also helps the nourishment (present in the scrub itself eg. vitamin E oil) seep into the skin through the pores.
In the quest of making your own face scrub at home, you will be using the wonder ingredients present in your kitchen itself, all the ingredients used in the homemade face scrubs are purely natural and you do not need to make any extra effort in procuring them. And let me assure you that natural scrubs, even face packs for that matter are no less in terms of effectiveness, they will give you a natural spa experience and a soothing aroma that is your best choice.
Why Make Homemade face scrubs
when I have plenty of them readily available
The biggest plus point that makes homemade scrubs a winner is that it is NATURAL, it does not contain any unnatural, synthetic, and chemical ingredients that impose danger to your skin and even expose your skin to toxins after each use. Talking about the effectiveness, yes the homemade scrubs are excellent they work amazingly on the rough skin, leaving it clean and soft, dead cells free and well exfoliated.
Convinced ! Now How To Do It ?
The process of making a natural scrub begins with choosing your ingredients, the ingredients will usually depend on factors like the purpose of making the scrub, the availability of ingredients and your personal choice (considering the allergies too) and even your skin type. Once you have all the ingredients you will require other tools like mixing bowl, spatula or a spoon and a jar to store the batch. Now that you are fully armed you are all set to get your hands dirty.
The Basic Formula for Making Homemade Face Scrub Naturally At
1 part of Exfoliant
1/2 part of the Carrier Liquid
Add Ins to Jazz it up
The Exfoliant sloughs away the dead cells and clears up the pores by removing the clogged dirt and oil the aiding in prevention of breakouts.
Some Best Natural Exfoliants For DIY Scrubs Are
- Sugar : This is one of the most common exfoliant used in diy scrub recipes, other being the Salt. Use pure cane sugar to make your scrub.
- Salt : Salt seconds Sugar, sea salt is gaining popularity both in kitchen and in skin care products, they are used in a variety of bath salts, scrubs and exfoliators. They help retain moisture and provide smoothness to the skin. Much care should be taken while choosing the Sea salt for using it in a scrub. The salt crystals should have smooth edges, as sharp edges may scratch the skin, smooth crystals will gently slough off the dead cells without hurting the skin. If used harshly, Sea salt may cause stinging.
- Coffee : Coffee can help you in your battle against cellulite, it also helps to reduce water retention. A simple coffee and Honey scrub can help you fade out the stretch marks. Coffee is believe to reduce the appearance of cellulite thus it is among the most popular ingredients for making face and body scrubs and even several other spa treatments.
- Oatmeal : Oatmeal is probably the gentlest exfoliant and thus it ir perfect for sensitive skin. It has anti inflammatory properties and it can help to deal with the symptoms of aging.
- Baking Soda : This wonder ingredient has numerous benefits for skin, it is an excellent cleanser, it makes a perfect natural deodorant, can be used a anti-fungal foot soak to get rid of foot odor and is used as a scrub too. It is very good for combating oiliness of skin, it will maintain the pH level of skin and absorb the excess oil.
The Liquids (The Carriers)
- Honey : This ingredient is widely known as an alternate sweetener but you will be surprised to know the benefits of honey for skin and hair. It is a natural antibacterial ingredients thus can help in preventing breakouts, honey is full of antioxidants thus it promotes cell renewal and slows down aging of the skin.
- Carrier Oils : There is a wide variety of oils to choose from, it depends on your personal choice. Some commonly used oils to make face scrub are sweet almond oil, sesame oil and olive oil.
- Milk : We all know that milk has the ability to cleanse the skin ( as we have been using cleansing milk since forever ), but very few know that the Lactic acid present in the milk can easily remove dead cells from the skin. It is a perfect solution for bringing dull n dry skin back to life. The milk based scrubs should be made on for immediate use as you cannot store these scrubs
The Enriching Add Ins
Essential Oils : Essential oils are the highly concentrated, aromatic essences of trees, shrubs, herbs, grasses, resins and flowers. Some popular essential oils are Lavender, Rose, Tea Tree, Vanilla and the list goes on.
Cocoa : You can add melted chocolate or cocoa powder to jazz up your scrub.
Citrus juices and zest
Citrus fruits are rich source of Vitamin C, You can add few drops of lemon, lime, orange , Grapefruit juice or even the zest from the rind (peel).
To give a splash of fruity freshness to your DIY face scrub, add the pulp of seasonal tropical fruits like Mango, Papaya, Guava, Kiwi etc. etc. etc.
How to Make Homemade Facial Scrub
One you have chosen your combination of ingredients you just need mix the ingredient in a bowl and transfer it to the jar to sit in the shelf until you use it. Some points to keep in mind while putting up a homemade face scrub are
- Always use correct quantity to achieve the right consistency as we neither want our scrub to be too runny nor should it be too thick as it gets difficult to smear and scrub on face
- Choose right for your type okayyy I know it sounds like a spin off of Eat Right for Your Type , excuse me for that but this is the rule, you must know your skin type and choose the ingredients accordingly
- Avoid everything that can cause allergy
- Use clean containers to store the scrub as dirt and germs may cause the scrub go rancid soon
- If you are living in countries where the weather is usually hot, consider storing the scrub in a refrigerator.
How to Use Homemade Face Scrub
Cleanse your face with a mild cleanser to remove the dirt from the top layer of the skin
Take a small amount of your scrub in your fingers and smear on a segment of face eg. chin or forehead
Always work the scrub in upward – outward circular motion
Be very gentle while scrubbing, do not apply pressure and the dead cells will be removed by the granules and not by strength
Use the scrub not more than twice a week
Observe the effect of scrubbing on your face, if you feel your skin is not happy with it drop the regime
5 Everyday Homemade Face Exfoliator Recipes
Lemon Sugar Honey scrub
Coffee vanilla Scrub
Oatmeal walnut Olive oil scrub
Take equal quantities of oatmeal and walnut powder (ground walnut), add Olive oil till you get the desired consistency of a scrub and mix well. Let it rest for 2 hours to allow the ingredients amalgamate well. To make it more enriching add few drops of Vitamin E Oil.
Sea Salt + Lavender scrub
Sugar Milk and Honey scrub
Try my Walnut Vanilla scrub recipe, if you enjoyed reading this post don’t forget to share and follow on facebook to get updates on latest content.
DIY Walnut Facial Scrub Recipe
Walnut and Apricot scrubs are the most popular scrubs available in the market sold by several brands so I just thought if I could blend a homemade version of walnut scrub. After a lot of contemplation I gave it a try and the result was quite good. I picked up a few of my favorite ingredients and put them all together and the result was this fragrant scrub. While going through the ingredients of one popular walnut scrub brand I was amazed to see that the walnut scrub did not contain the nut but the particles were actually of the shell. Here in this recipe of homemade walnut scrub we will be making use of both walnut paste and walnut shells to reveal that supple, clean glowing skin hiding under the dead cells, makeup residue and settled dirt.
Why Use The Walnut Scrub On Face
Walnuts or Akhrots are loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids which helps the skin to retain moisture, by locking in the moisture this scrub helps you achieve that wrinkle free skin you ever longed for. Walnuts also contain Vitamin E which is an antioxidant that will make the skin soft and supple. The EFA in the walnuts also help in combating inflammation and other skin problems like Acne and Psoriasis. I hope now you realize why commercial walnut scrubs are so popular.
The Recipe Calls For
Just like any other homemade scrub this scrub also comprises of an exfoliating substance, a medium or carrier and fragrance, to learn more about making homemade scrubs read our complete guide on it.
Walnut 1 no. (grind it to paste)
Vanilla Essential Oil
Sterilized container to store the scrub
To save the time and effort in making walnut shel powder you can buy this Natural Walnut Shell Powder for Scrub Formulation
The Recipe For Making Homemade Walnut Scrub For Clean Glowing Skin
First step in the making of this DIY facial scrub is the preparation of our prime ingredient which happens to be walnut shells in this case. Grind walnut shells till you get fine particles, do not make it into a fine powder as we are preparing a scrub here and not a face pack. Mix it with honey preferably raw honey, walnut paste and add the Amla juice (Indian Gooseberry juice). Amla juice is known to have anti ageing properties and it also tightens the pores. The best way to use Amla for glowing skin is drinking Amla juice every morning empty stomach.
Coming back to the scrub, once you have mixed all the three ingredients very well pour the mixture into a jar, now finally add few drops of Vanilla essential oil and stir to blend the oil in your walnut scrub.
How To Use Walnut Face Scrub
Take a small quantity of the scrub in your fingertips and start scrubbing from your jawline gradually moving upwards. Gently scrub your face for not more than 7 minutes. Leave the scrub for 5 more minutes then rinse off.
This all natural homemade walnut Scrub for face will exfoliate the skin, make it fresh and clean, remove dead cells from the surface of the skin and Amla will tighten the pores. Throughout your scrubbing session you will enjoy the lovely fragrance of Vanilla Essential Oil.
Benefits of Using Homemade Walnut Scrub
This diy walnut scrub is perfect to try on weekends as they will certainly consume some of your precious time what makes it worth a try is the fantastic affect that it makes to the skin .
1. This walnut scrub will exfoliate the skin leaving it clean and fresh
2. Amla will bestow anti aging properties on the skin.
3. Walnut paste will hydrate the skin.
I just tried one more version of walnut scrub, enriched with vitamin E oil and the goodness of oatmeal, it is simple, fun and yes of-course, effective.
The DIY Oatmeal Walnut Scrub Recipe
I have already shared a recipe for body scrub recipe with oatmeal, but I never had used it in a face scrub, having done it now I am sure to use is again.
It is very simple to make unlike the previous one which required some extra effort for working up the walnut shells. In this recipe I am using slightly coarsely ground walnut.
The ingredients are
1/2 cup of Oatmeal
1/2 cup of ground walnut
Safflower Oil or any carrier oil of your choice , Sesame, sweet Almond Oil, Olive oil all will do just perfect.
1 Capsule of Vitamin E Oil
Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, squeeze out the content of one Vitamin E capsule into the mixture and blend it all once again, transfer the batch to a jar and dont forget to label it. Massage this scrub on your face and neck and then wash off. Apply moisturizer after it.
If you have your own recipe of walnut scrub, then I am eager to know it. Share It!
Homemade Facial Scrub
Scrubbing in beauty and cosmetology is a technique of exfoliating the skin by gently massaging a scrubbing medium aka. scrub on the face.
Homemade Facial Scrub Recipes Benefits:
Scrub removes dead skin from the surface of the skin.
Scrubbing opens up the clogged pores of face.
After completing the facial scrub procedure the skin becomes fresh and it absorbs all the goodness and nutrition of the facial pack applied after scrubbing.
The most commonly used Ready made facial scrubs are :
Combination scrub with both apricot and walnut.
The most widely use Homemade facial scrubs are
Lemon sugar face scrub
Homemade Facial Scrub Recipe
Some More DIY Face Scrub Recipes
1. Homemade Sugar Face Scrub
- SUGAR makes a great scrub for exfoliating the skin at home. Mix granulated sugar with almond oil in 2:1 ratio respectively. Wet your skin and apply the scrub on the face and scrub it in circular motion. Remember you have to be very gentle while scrubbing your facial skin.
2. Make your own Almond Facial Scrub:
- Grind almond and mix it with mayonnaise to make a paste. Use this paste as scrub. after scrubbing leave this for another 10 mins then rinse off.
3. Homemade Oatmeal Face Scrub Recipe
- Grind Oatmeal, Corn meal and few sunflower seeds together, to the powder add few drops of essential oils and use water as base to make paste out of all ingredients. Use this as a facial scrub. Mix oatmeal and baking soda in 2:1 ratio. gently scrub your face with this mixture in circular motion. Mix 1 tsp of honey with ground almond to make a thin consistency paste. Dampen your face and start scrubbing the almond honey paste on the paste. Rinse off once done.
- Should be done 5-10 mins doing it for longer period may hurt the skin and can cause redness too.