Tennis Elbow also know as Lateral Epicondylitis is a condition wherein severe burning pain is experienced in the outer part of the elbow.This pain is due to the soreness in the tendons of the lateral or outer part of the elbow.
Causes of Tennis Elbow
- Overuse of forearm muscle. Repeated motions of elbow and wrist causes tear in tendons.
- Poor technique in backhand stroke while playing tennis and other similar games involving excessive movements of forearm.
- Overdoing activities that causes strain in forearm muscles.
- Repeated twisting and turning of wrist can also cause tennis elbow.
- Excessive pressure on radial nerve.
Tennis Elbow Symptoms (Lateral Epicondylitis) Read More
- Pain in the outer part of the elbow.
- Pain while lifting or grasping object.
- Experience of severe pain while doing activities that involve movement of forearm and wrist.
- Pain while extending the forearm completely.
- Pain is also accompanied by weakness in the forearm and wrist.
Also See: Epicondylitis
Tennis Elbow Treatment can involve any one or combinations of following methods:
Once a person is diagnosed with Tennis Elbow or any other injury or medical condition he /she immediately starts digging the search engines. Knowing the fact that this problem is going to be intensely painful and moreover will be restricting your movement one cannot think of living with it even for a day.
Then what should you do? Well you must first calm down and seek professional help. After consultation and your primary check-up you will be aware about the severity of the problem and also the available mode of treatments and their associated cost and expenses. This is when you should be able to decide your most feasible treatment method.
- By wearing supports like Tennins Elbow Braces, elbow straps, arm bands etc.
- By taking Physical therapy for Tennis Elbow
- By doing exercises.
- By using Home Remedies
Home Remedies For Tennis Elbow
RICE it Up
Give complete rest to the arm muscles avoid doing any activity that may cause strain in the tendons.
- Apply ice packs to the elbow joint for 10-15 mins . Repeat this after two hours. This is a very effective home remedy that will soothe the pain and reduce the burning sensation in the affected area.
Elbow Supports : Tennis Elbow Wraps
- Use elbow straps this gives compression to the sore muscles. Compression limits the swelling and in some cases, relief from pain is also experienced by the sufferer.
- Celery seed is indeed very helpful in dealing with this painful condition. Extract the fluid from the seeds and take 5-10 drops diluted in hot water before meals.
- Avocado fruit has various health benefits and the oil extracted from Avocado has anti inflammatory and pain relieving properties. You best bet would be to gently massage the effected elbow joint with avocado oil. It will give soothing effect to the inflamed tissues and the tissues around the joint.
- Bake potatoes and wrap them in a clean cloth to make a poultice, wrap it around the effected elbow joint. This will certainly reduce the stiffness and pain.
Wear Elbow Wraps
Now you dont need a highly sophisticate or state of the art kind of strap, all you need is a strap that will wrap around your elbow, provide soft cushioning while your elbow is in resting position. It should also provide mild compression.
Tennis Elbow ExercisesFollowing are some Tennis elbow exercises Video:
Tennis Elbow Self Examination Stretch
How to do Tennis Elbow Stretch Exercise
Tennis elbow is a repetitive stress injury (RSI) affecting the tendons that connect the forearm to the upperarm. Proper stretching, as directed by a doctor or physical therapist, can help alleviate some of the pain.