Tired and disappointed with the in-effectiveness, overpricing, toxic load and side effects of commercial facial scrubs more and more people are now finding their new alternatives that beats all the cons of a commercially formulated face scrub. The present era is witnessing returning to the roots approach of people, which is very well apparent in the world of beauty products too, and this is what gives me a valid reason and a strong encouragement to write this post where in I will be discussing the basics of making homemade face scrubs with the exfoliants available in the kitchen.
Face scrubs, whether natural, herbal or cosmetic are used to exfoliate the skin using a technique called scrubbing, i.e gently massaging the scrub on the skin. By doing this we aim to ward off the dead cells from the surface of the skin and cleaning the clogged pores, allowing the skin to breathe. The scrub not only removes the dead cells but also helps the nourishment (present in the scrub itself eg. vitamin E oil) seep into the skin through the pores.
In the quest of making your own face scrub at home, you will be using the wonder ingredients present in your kitchen itself, all the ingredients used in the homemade face scrubs are purely natural and you do not need to make any extra effort in procuring them. And let me assure you that natural scrubs, even face packs for that matter are no less in terms of effectiveness, they will give you a natural spa experience and a soothing aroma that is your best choice.
Why Make Homemade face scrubs
when I have plenty of them readily available
The biggest plus point that makes homemade scrubs a winner is that it is NATURAL, it does not contain any unnatural, synthetic, and chemical ingredients that impose danger to your skin and even expose your skin to toxins after each use. Talking about the effectiveness, yes the homemade scrubs are excellent they work amazingly on the rough skin, leaving it clean and soft, dead cells free and well exfoliated.
Convinced ! Now How To Do It ?
The process of making a natural scrub begins with choosing your ingredients, the ingredients will usually depend on factors like the purpose of making the scrub, the availability of ingredients and your personal choice (considering the allergies too) and even your skin type. Once you have all the ingredients you will require other tools like mixing bowl, spatula or a spoon and a jar to store the batch. Now that you are fully armed you are all set to get your hands dirty.
The Basic Formula for Making Homemade Face Scrub Naturally At
1 part of Exfoliant
1/2 part of the Carrier Liquid
Add Ins to Jazz it up
The Exfoliant sloughs away the dead cells and clears up the pores by removing the clogged dirt and oil the aiding in prevention of breakouts.
Some Best Natural Exfoliants For DIY Scrubs Are
- Sugar : This is one of the most common exfoliant used in diy scrub recipes, other being the Salt. Use pure cane sugar to make your scrub.
- Salt : Salt seconds Sugar, sea salt is gaining popularity both in kitchen and in skin care products, they are used in a variety of bath salts, scrubs and exfoliators. They help retain moisture and provide smoothness to the skin. Much care should be taken while choosing the Sea salt for using it in a scrub. The salt crystals should have smooth edges, as sharp edges may scratch the skin, smooth crystals will gently slough off the dead cells without hurting the skin. If used harshly, Sea salt may cause stinging.
- Coffee : Coffee can help you in your battle against cellulite, it also helps to reduce water retention. A simple coffee and Honey scrub can help you fade out the stretch marks. Coffee is believe to reduce the appearance of cellulite thus it is among the most popular ingredients for making face and body scrubs and even several other spa treatments.
- Oatmeal : Oatmeal is probably the gentlest exfoliant and thus it ir perfect for sensitive skin. It has anti inflammatory properties and it can help to deal with the symptoms of aging.
- Baking Soda : This wonder ingredient has numerous benefits for skin, it is an excellent cleanser, it makes a perfect natural deodorant, can be used a anti-fungal foot soak to get rid of foot odor and is used as a scrub too. It is very good for combating oiliness of skin, it will maintain the pH level of skin and absorb the excess oil.
The Liquids (The Carriers)
- Honey : This ingredient is widely known as an alternate sweetener but you will be surprised to know the benefits of honey for skin and hair. It is a natural antibacterial ingredients thus can help in preventing breakouts, honey is full of antioxidants thus it promotes cell renewal and slows down aging of the skin.
- Carrier Oils : There is a wide variety of oils to choose from, it depends on your personal choice. Some commonly used oils to make face scrub are sweet almond oil, sesame oil and olive oil.
- Milk : We all know that milk has the ability to cleanse the skin ( as we have been using cleansing milk since forever ), but very few know that the Lactic acid present in the milk can easily remove dead cells from the skin. It is a perfect solution for bringing dull n dry skin back to life. The milk based scrubs should be made on for immediate use as you cannot store these scrubs
The Enriching Add Ins
Essential Oils : Essential oils are the highly concentrated, aromatic essences of trees, shrubs, herbs, grasses, resins and flowers. Some popular essential oils are Lavender, Rose, Tea Tree, Vanilla and the list goes on.
Cocoa : You can add melted chocolate or cocoa powder to jazz up your scrub.
Citrus juices and zest
Citrus fruits are rich source of Vitamin C, You can add few drops of lemon, lime, orange , Grapefruit juice or even the zest from the rind (peel).
To give a splash of fruity freshness to your DIY face scrub, add the pulp of seasonal tropical fruits like Mango, Papaya, Guava, Kiwi etc. etc. etc.
How to Make Homemade Facial Scrub
One you have chosen your combination of ingredients you just need mix the ingredient in a bowl and transfer it to the jar to sit in the shelf until you use it. Some points to keep in mind while putting up a homemade face scrub are
- Always use correct quantity to achieve the right consistency as we neither want our scrub to be too runny nor should it be too thick as it gets difficult to smear and scrub on face
- Choose right for your type okayyy I know it sounds like a spin off of Eat Right for Your Type , excuse me for that but this is the rule, you must know your skin type and choose the ingredients accordingly
- Avoid everything that can cause allergy
- Use clean containers to store the scrub as dirt and germs may cause the scrub go rancid soon
- If you are living in countries where the weather is usually hot, consider storing the scrub in a refrigerator.
How to Use Homemade Face Scrub
Cleanse your face with a mild cleanser to remove the dirt from the top layer of the skin
Take a small amount of your scrub in your fingers and smear on a segment of face eg. chin or forehead
Always work the scrub in upward -- outward circular motion
Be very gentle while scrubbing, do not apply pressure and the dead cells will be removed by the granules and not by strength
Use the scrub not more than twice a week
Observe the effect of scrubbing on your face, if you feel your skin is not happy with it drop the regime
5 Everyday Homemade Face Exfoliator Recipes
Lemon Sugar Honey scrub
Coffee vanilla Scrub
Oatmeal walnut Olive oil scrub
Take equal quantities of oatmeal and walnut powder (ground walnut), add Olive oil till you get the desired consistency of a scrub and mix well. Let it rest for 2 hours to allow the ingredients amalgamate well. To make it more enriching add few drops of Vitamin E Oil.
Sea Salt + Lavender scrub
Sugar Milk and Honey scrub
Try my Walnut Vanilla scrub recipe, if you enjoyed reading this post don’t forget to share and follow on facebook to get updates on latest content.