If your nail looks ridged and you are wonder why do i have bumpy nails, this post is for you. Bumpy nails can have a variety of causes, ranging from minor factors to more serious currently underlying health concerns of the issues you may have had in the past. Here are some of the major reasons that often lead to horizontal or longitudinal ridges on fingernails:
- Nail Trauma: Bumpy nails might develop as a result of some minor injuries or trauma to the nail bed. This could lead to unhealthy and unusual appearance of the nails. It can also result in irregular nail growth patterns as the nail attempts to heal on its own.
- Habit of Nail Biting: Children to adults, anyone can develop the habit of nail biting. I you are frequently engaged in habits such as nail biting or picking at cuticles can lead to uneven nail growth and the development of a bumpy nail surface which is generally referred as bumpy nails.
- Fungal Infections: Fungal infections can cause nails to become thickened, discolored, and bumpy. The infection can impact the nail bed, causing changes in the texture of the nail.
- Psoriasis: Nail psoriasis is an auto immune nail condition that affect nails, potentially causing pitting, discoloration, ridges, and bumps on the nails.
- Nutritional Deficiencies: Deficiency of nutrients like Vitamin A and Vitamin B can lead to nil ridges.
- Lack of Nutrients: Insufficient intake of vital nutrients, such as biotin, zinc, and iron, can influence nail health, potentially leading to nail brittleness, bumpiness, or the development of ridges.
- Allergic Reactions: Exposure to particular chemicals or allergens can lead to changes in the nails, including the appearance of bumps.
- Lichen Planus: This inflammatory skin condition can also affect the nails, causing them to develop ridges and bumps.
- Beau’s Lines: Horizontal ridges known as Beau’s lines runs from side to side and can appear on nails due to temporary disruptions in nail growth, often associated with illnesses or trauma..
- Underlying Health Conditions: Health conditions like thyroid also becomes a cause of brittle nails and vertical ridges on fingernails.
How To Treat Bumpy Nail
You must see you your medical service provider to get a detailed analysis of the reason behind nails with ridges and other problems. Treating the actual cause of bumpy nails will help in getting rid of bumpy nails. However you can use superficial remedies like using nail ridge filler and nail buffer can help in reducing the appearance of bumpy nails. There are some simple home remedies for bumpy nails that you can try to minimize the appearance of fingernail ridges. However proper diagnosis of the case and treatment is what we suggest