Covid-19 pandemic has changed the world completely. Normal has changed to new normal and this new normal has altered our shopping priority list as well.
Just like how new words like quarantine, self isolation,social distancing, community spread etc. have become a part of our routine vocabulary, some new products have made place for themselves in our routine life.
Interested to know what people have been buying the most during Covid-19 pandemic? Checkout this list .
Anti Pollution Face Mask
Face masks were a bikers thing until the pandemic. It has become the most essential protective gear anytime one is venturing outdoors. Suddenly the market is flooded with several types of face mask owing to the demand created by Covid-19.
There are various types of mask offering different levels of protection.
Some Important Things About Face Mask
- Close Fitted Masks are better than the loose ones.
- Masks with nose strip offer better protection
- You must wash your face mask after each use
- Before buying a masking a mask make sure you learn all the know hows of the mask. If the mask is meant for single use dispose it off after using it.
- For longer duration, face masks with respiratory valve are a better option.
Types Of Face Masks Selling in India
C N95 Coatex Anti-Pollution Anti-Dust Face Mask with Respiratory Valve
From brand Kurtzy
Made from high quality Coatex Nano Shield Material. The mask is designed with adjustable blended nose to avoid leakage and to ensure perfect fit. Reusable CN95 Plus Protective mask is designed with particle filtration System, it prevents from Dust and Pollution
Cotton Unisex Reusable Cloth Face Mask
From Brand Mediweave
Made of 100% cotton, non-toxic, non-irritating, soft and comfortable. Note that some masks have liquid ammonia finish, which give them a silky feel
GIORDANO Cotton Anti Pollution 6 Layer Reusable Outdoor Face Mask
This mask is made of 100% ultra-light weight cotton fabric, making it soft and comfortable to your face, can be used for the whole day for easy breathing.
2. Multi Vitamins
After some doctors especially on Youtube, shared that multivitamins and supplements can help in building / improving the immunity, people started hoarding Multivitamins. There is no doubt that Vitamin-C and Multivitamins are helpful in boosting the immunity, but it should always be taken after consulting a medical professional.
3. Hand Sanitizers
Sanitizers are effective in killing the virus and that’s why it is selling like hot cake. Sanitizer is used to kill the germs and sanitizing is one of the most essential protective measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
It is recommended to sanitize the surfaces that are most touched like door handles, lift buttons etc.
Some Important Things to Know About Using Sanitizers
- Sanitize your hands after touching anything that has come from outside eg. home delivered packages, milk packets etc
- Sanitize the door handles if you touch it after coming home from outside
- Sanitizers with minimum 70% of alcohol content are considered to be effective in killing the virus.
- Sanitizers should be a second choice if you have access to washing hands with soap and water. but if you are going outdoors, carrying your sanitizer is a must.
- Sanitizers should be kept out of reach from children below six years of age. Children must use hand sanitizers under adult supervision
Sanitizers That Claim Above 70% Alcohol Content
Palmolive Antibacterial Hand Sanitizer, 72% Alcohol Based Sanitizer
Company Claims its 72% alcohol based formula helps protect you and your family from illness causing germs and infections
SANITRON Hand Sanitizer with Pump – with 75% Isopropyl alcohol
75% Pharma grade Alcohol Content. Pure Liquid No Gel.
Quick Self drying liquid form – no soap or water required after this use.
4. Pulse Oxymeter
With the contagious virus spreading rapidly, we are all trying our best to arm ourselves with everything that can help us to protect ourselves from this virus. Pulse Oximeter is another product that is flying off the shelves and is in high demand.
As we all know that Coronavirus can be asymptomatic i.e. a person who has already contracted the virus may not show any symptoms at all. This has lead to fear among people who are travelling daily to their respective work places. Many people are buying pulse oxymeter to check the oxygen level in the blood as depletion of oxygen from the blood is one of the symptoms of Covid-19.
With the help of this tiny rectangular device you can keep a track of blood oxygen levels. if you notice any abnormality in the saturation you can immediately seek medical help.
If you are going out of the house daily you need to follow the self care methods strictly to prevent yourself from catching the virus.
BPL Medical Technologies Finger-tip Pulse Oximeter Smartoxy Lite
Dr Trust Professional Series Finger Tip Pulse Oximeter With Audio Visual Alarm and Respiratory Rate
ACCURATE, FAST AND RELIABLE MEASUREMENTS
WATER RESISTANT IP 22
MULTIDIRECTIONAL OLED SCREEN DISPLAY
ALARM +OTHER SETTINGS
As of now i.e July 2020 there is no specific medicine and no vaccine for novel Covid-19. However both WHO and Ayush have mentioned in their guidelines that good immunity can help in preventing Corona Virus. Thus it is suggested that everyone should try to boost their immunity by proper diet and regular exercise.
Immunity boosters are a rage now. People are buying everything that comes their way to boost their immunity. From vitamin supplements to homeopathic medicine and golden milk. Nothing is left untried.
Ayurveda has always spoken about kaadha, i.e a decoction made with selective herbs and spices. Kadhaa is nothing new to us Indians, we have all heard of it since our childhood especially during cold weather.
Drinking kaadha can boost immunity and it is very simple and easy to make at home. Many patients who have recovered from Covid-19 have been talking about the importance of Kaadha and how consuming Kaadha helped them on their way to recovery from Covid-19.
Ministry of health has provided guidelines on preventive measures for Covid-19 and immunity boosting. Kadha is also mentioned in the self care measures.
It has been almost 2 months of lockdown While it is still safe to stay in the house as the Covid19 is still very much here, for some it is a necessity to go out. According to the current graph it is still going to be here for sometime now and we have to learn to adjust with it. So how do we protect ourselves from Corona Virus while going out. There is no foolproof way to save yourself from the virus, but we have been given a guideline by WHO, following which shall reduce the chances of catching Covid19.
- Wear a Mask : Always wear a mask and avoid touching your mask. Do not take it out repeatedly. Once you wear it and leave the house, let it be on and just forget about it. If there is a need to adjust, touch it from behind your ear.
- Carry your own hand sanitizer: The hand sanitizer should be alcohol based. Rub it on your hands nicely whenever you touch anything while you are out. Things like your car door, bikes handle, the railing of staircases, gates, door knobs, lift buttons are all hot spots of contamination. After touching any of these sanitize your hand thoroughly.
- Maintain safe Distance: When you are in a crowded place or even meeting a single person you both must be standing atleast 3 feet away from each other. This is very important because if either of you sneeze or cough the droplets does not affect the other.
- Respiratory Hygiene: Cover your nose / mouth while sneezing / coughing. Wash/sanitize your hands immediately after sneezing/coughing.
- Avoid Eating Outside : Although the lockdown has been relaxed a bit, but that does not mean the virus has disappeared and you are back to normalcy. Keeping this in mind avoid eating anything outside.
- Have a Bath: After coming back home, stay away from your family members and immediately have a bath/wash. Wash your clothes and mask too. Sanitize the door handles/knobs, keys etc. that you may have touched.
Looking into the need of people resuming their work, government has given some relaxation in lockdown. But we have to remember that stopping and preventing the spread of the virus is the only weapon we have against Coronavirus. As of now we have no medicine and no vaccine officially confirmed by the authorities. So the major role is played by us the people, we can restrict the virus from travelling, one person to the other.
Boost Immunity: Immune system is you body’s defense mechanism. Eating healthy balanced diet helps in keeping immune system strong. Certain immunity boosting food items can be incorporated in the diet to strengthen the immunity. For eg. Turmeric, Ginger, berries etc.
Go out only if it a necessity. Follow all the precautionary measures given by WHO. It is quite possible that one day we will have medication to cure coronavirus and even vaccine to prevent it, untill then our aim should be to restrict the virus brom spreading and minimizing the size of damage (interms of lives lost) caused by the Covid19 pandemic.
Read WHO advice here.
Wondering what activities to do with kids in lockdown. While we are busy nagging about how difficult it is for us to stay locked down in the house, there is someone else too who is trying to cope without their routine life. Yes, its the kids. Children, no matter from which part of the world they belong, love to play. They are deprived of their regular outings be it their school or playground and unfortunately they are not able to express what they are feeling right now. Some parents may be noticing behavioral changes in their kids. It is very important to keep our kids motivated and occupied during this period.
In my opinion children have responded beyond their capacity. Where we as adults are getting frustrated and are exhibiting emotional outbursts. Our kids are just being far accommodating. They are as energetic as ever, what becomes important here is to channelize their energies towards positive things. If you have been searching for things to do with kids during lockdown, this article may be a bit of help for you.
6. Things To Do For Keeping Kids Active And Motivated During Lockdown
1. Educate your Child
When the child knows the gravity of the situation, he/she will try to take things with greater level of acceptance. Teach your kids all the words and their meanings that are relevant to the current pandemic situation. Some important words that are related to covid=19 are:
Isolation / Self=Isolation
2. Involve them in the household work
Instead of treating them like a disturbance in your increased household chores, team up with them. Give them small jobs to do, try to figure out what they would like to do or what they volunteer themselves for. If your child likes to help you in kitchen give them small things to do, like mixing, whisking etc. If the kid likes to do cleaning, tell them to tidy -up the place after they finish playing with toys.
3. Teach them new things
We have to accept some kids are creative and some are not as much creative. But every child has some particular things that they do better than the other. Try to figure out what activities interests your child and help them grow themselves in that particular activity. If its painting teach them different techniques of painting that kids can do. For example, fork painting, ink wash, block painting etc.
Fun Activities That My Kids Have Been Doing During Lockdown
- Singing : My daughter discovered her liking for singing during this lockdown. I am no singer but I am trying to support her in learning this new talent. She even started her youtube channel :
Painting : I have been teaching her paint different flowers, painting a landscape.
This is a fork painting I taught my 5 year old daughter and she was so happy to learn a new way of painting.
- Learning Prayers : My daughter is happy praying the Holy Rosary nowadays.
- Baking / Cooking : Although she is too small, and indulging her in baking etc. leaves an added mess in the kitchen for us to clean. Once in a while we do baking together. Even Pizza making was a quite fun activity to do with her. Our baking video
4. Play with Your Kids
No matter how many new things you teach them, but in their heart of hearts kids love to play. What I have discovered during this lockdown is that children enjoy it more when their parents play with them. They love to see a child in you and for a change finding a friend in their parents, make them delighted.
You can play any board game, card game, word game, solve puzzles etc.
5. Allow Them Screen Time
I know many parents reading this may not approve of this. But wait, give me a chance I can explain it. Everything is on one side and the joy of watching TV is just another level. There are only 2 things that make kids happy. One, is when mom cooks them their favorite treat and the other is when they are happily allowed to watch their favorite program.
This will leave a positive psychological impact of freedom in their tender minds. It will help them remain motivated for other activities that you plan for them. If it is just one sided affair, children feel they are being regulated and they lose their motivation for other things as well.
Considering these are trying times not just for us adults but for our children as well. We should try to be little more liberal with them.
Moderation while allowing screen time is also equally important.
Keep Them in Tune with Studies
We are not sure how long this pandemic is staying here. But it is certain that once we resume our normal life, our kids have to go back to their schools and study.
Make them attend their online classes and do the work assigned to them. Teach them whatever is being taught in their online classes. As once the school reopen, the rush to complete the syllabus will begin. In such a situation the child must be up to the expected mark in terms of their studies.
Children have a very tender heart, and we need to behave with them accordingly. Being too strict, being too liberal will not work. The trick lies in striking the right balance between fun and learn.
Behaving normal with kids will also not work as even they know that everything is not normal. So team up with them and make them understand how we can fair well in this scenario.
No matter how much I have succeeded in putting up this article, in reality it isn’t as rosy as it feels while you read it. We all have had those weak moments when we lost our cool and got frustrated. But then we have to carry on, our children look up to us for even smallest of things thus we need to just put our best foot forward during this period.
Here’s wishing you and your kids all the best to sail through this phase in the best possible way!
Coronavirus as a pandemic has already caused countries to lockdown for social distancing and prevention of its further spread. It is important to follow basic hygiene but there’s only so much that hand sanitizers can do. Hence, it’s imperative to boost immunity that helps prevent diseases like novel coronavirus.
Our body has a natural defense mechanism, ‘immunity’, to prevent and fight again virus such us coronavirus infection. Since it is a virus which has never mutated in human beings before, there is no current solution to it. Therefore, prevention is the best way during times of social distancing or self-quarantine. Some of the most helpful ammo in this fight against ill-health is right in your kitchen.
Turmeric is a spice commonly used in Indian cuisines and easily accessible. It contains a bright-yellow compound known as curcumin which has strong anti-inflammatory effects.
Garlic, a pungent herb with a characteristic aroma with zesty flavour and popular amongst Indian cuisine. It helps to fight the common cold and has antibacterial and antiviral effects.
Cloves also known as lavang pods are a major part of Ayurvedic medicine. It helps in treating nausea and flu. The oil in it combats sore gums.
Cinnamon has strong anti-inflammatory properties and can be added to warm water, coffee and desserts. The oil in it reduces aches, joint pains and improves circulation.
Omega-3 fatty acids can reduce inflammation in the body. The lining of the cells is protected by this fatty acid which keeps the immune system in check. It may not directly help with warding off a cold, but it bolsters the immune system.
Juices like Kale which is nutrient-dense provides one of the best ways to fortify the immune system. Pomegranate helps in aiding blood clotting, boosts heart health and bone development. Beetroot juice has powerful antioxidants that lower risk of heart disease and inflammation. Orange juice is rich source of vitamin C along with calcium that contributes to bone health.
Here are few easy and quick recipes for daily consumption of food that will boost your immunity system.
Lemon Ginger And Turmeric Daily detox tea To Strengthen Immunity
Ingredients – 6 cups water, 1 chunk fresh ginger, 3 cinnamon sticks, 1 tsp ground turmeric, ½ tsp cayenne pepper, 6 fresh lemons
- Peel the ginger and dice into thin slices. Add water in a large pot or saucepan over high heat and add the sliced ginger. Turn to low-heat once the water boils and let it simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the cinnamon sticks, turmeric and cayenne and simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Then remove from heat, let cool and strain.
This makes about 6 cups of a concentrated version of the detox tea which you can store in a glass jar in the fridge. This can be consumed warm or cold and add ½ fresh lemon juice right before you enjoy.
Breakfast Smoothies with Flax Seeds To Boost Your Immunity
Ingredients – 2 tbsp flaxseeds, 1 cup flavored soya milk, 1 cup chilled and roughly chopped strawberries, 1/2 cup chilled and roughly chopped bananas, 2 tsp honey, Garnish: 2 strawberries and 2 bananas slices
- Add strawberries, bananas, flaxseeds and honey in soya milk, blend in a juicer till the mixture is smooth and frothy.
- Pour equal quantities of the smoothie into 2 individual glasses.
- Serve garnished with a strawberry and banana slice.
There are healthy recipes to keep your unhygienic/junk food eating habits at bay. But the above food items are easily available in your kitchen spice box or at the market. Staying healthy especially during such conditions is imperative.
- Authored By : Paramita Singh, Sport Nutritionist, to get an immune boosting diet or a list of supplements under a guided program email – email@example.com
- All the views are solely of the contributor, website does not take any responsibility about the authenticity of the information shared..