How Massage Benefits Diabetes Care
While massage therapy is reputable for its effectiveness with pain management, injury recovery, and stress reduction, did you know that is may also benefit discomforting and dangerous symptoms associated with diabetes?
Over 30 million people in the U.S. have diabetes according to the American Diabetes Association, with over 80 million people existing in a pre-diabetic state. Diabetes is extremely common among seniors with roughly 1 out of 4 adults over the age of 65 having it, and for the large percentage suffering from Type II diabetes, it is almost completely preventable.
What Is Diabetes?
Understanding how the body breaks down food and absorbs nutrients is vital to understanding diabetes. When you eat and drink, the carbs you ingest are broken down and the glucose inside them released into the bloodstream. As this happens, your body cues the pancreas to produce insulin, a hormone which helps cells in your blood absorb glucose for energy. When the body is unable to properly metabolize glucose in the bloodstream, blood sugar levels rise (hyperglycemia) causing myriad symptoms including:
Extreme thirst or hunger
Sores that won’t heal
If the pancreas does not produce enough insulin, or if the cells become insulin resistant because of chronically high concentrations of glucose in the bloodstream, diabetes results. Left untreated, diabetes can lead to nerve damage, vision loss, amputation, stroke, dental disease, heart disease, skin infections, depression, hypertension, food circulation issues, and more.
Benefits of Massage for People with Diabetes
While common treatments for diabetes include pharmacological intervention (synthetic insulin for people with Type I, and drugs like Metformin for people with Type II), a growing body of evidence is revealing how massage may aid symptoms as well. For people with diabetes, massage therapy:
Boosts Blood Circulation
The pulling, pressure, and squeezing of massage therapy facilitates an internal increase in blood flow to vulnerable tissues, helping flush out lactic acid and other built up waste byproducts. Improved blood circulation helps deliver vital nutrients and oxygen to damage and congested muscles, and for someone with diabetes, this could mean helping the cells in the blood more readily absorb glucose for energy. Enhanced insulin utilization not only helps lower blood sugar, but can reduce high blood pressure and augment other bodily functions as well.
Restores Nerve Functionality
The nerve pain (like feelings of pins and needles) and loss of sensation associated with diabetes can be debilitating. Diabetic neuropathy most often times affects the legs and feet, while severe cases may disrupt normal bodily functions associated with digestion, heart rate control, and continence. So how does massage therapy help? Techniques aligned with shiatsu massage, for example, can help restore nerve functionality through enhancing blood flow, diminishing painful sensations, and decreasing stress hormone production which may help lower blood sugar.
Breaks up Scar Tissue
People with diabetes will have to consistently monitor blood sugar levels by pricking themselves, or administer insulin injections, may experience a buildup of scar tissue around vulnerable injection sites. Massage therapy can help break up scar tissue which is causing pain or limiting mobility. Foot massage was shown in a 2017 study as well to improve balance and functional mobility, which when incorporated into an overall treatment plan, may motivate more physical activity that can help diabetes patients lower their blood sugar.
Enhances Range of Motion
As the side effects of Type II diabetes can be largely weaned through a healthy diet and lots of exercise, promoting an active lifestyle is a must. Like with other conditions including arthritis, massage therapy can help loosen stiff joints, relieve muscle tension, and improve the elasticity of muscles and connective tissues. These positive benefits can improve range of motion, enhance mobility, and allow someone with diabetes to avoid sedentary habits, and instead tackle physical fitness each day to benefit their own health.
Also Read: Diabetes Diet Tips
Improves Mood and Stress Levels
The stress and anxiety relief associated with massage therapy easily bleeds into diabetes management, as having a chronic condition can take its own mental toll. Relaxing the nervous system, alleviating muscle tension, and fostering a keener mind-body awareness for someone with diabetes can not only complement an established treatment plan but may also address the mental fears and roadblocks associated with why a person with diabetes overeats or avoids physical exercise.
You Might Also Like: Home Remedies For Diabetes
In addition to massage, experts recommend natural remedies like quitting smoking, addressing high blood pressure, topical ointments and creams, as well as wearing compression sleeves to aid circulation – check these out. The most important preventative measure someone can take to fortify their body against developing diabetes is to eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly. Massage therapists can incorporate mindfulness practices like deep breathing and meditation into a specialized therapy tailored towards diabetes patients, knowing that the work of their hands can make a huge difference in extending the life and wellbeing of their client.
*All the info shared in this article are views of the writer, website does not take responsibility of authenticity of the information shared in the article
Natural Remedies for Type two Diabetes
Whether you are checking your blood sugar levels at home or shopping for fiber-rich foods at the grocery store, having type 2 diabetes requires a high level of self-management.
Doctors recommend patients with diabetes stick to a diet of 40-60 percent carbohydrates, 20 percent protein and 30 percent of less fat. Losing any amount of weight can improve overall glycemic control.
Part of your self-management plan may include finding natural alternatives to maintain safe blood sugar levels.
Clinical studies reveal Complimentary and Alternatives Medications (CAM) do exist with varying degrees of safety and effectiveness. A group of doctors has prepared a “Systematic Review of Herbs and Supplements for Glycemic Control in Diabetes” for the medical journal Diabetes Care.
Herbal Remedies for Type 2 Diabetes
Also Read : Home Remedies For Diabetes
There are several CAM-qualified items:
Coccinia indica for Diabetes Type 2
East Indian healing medication that possesses insulin mimetic properties.
American Ginseng for type 2 diabetes
Panex Quiquefolius, an herb root that can decrease fasting blood glucose and HbA1C.
Momordica charantia as a natural remedy for type 2 diabetes—Balsam pear that may increase insulin secretion, tissue glucose uptake, liver muscle glycogen synthesis, glucose oxidation and decrease hepatic glucogenesis.
L-caritine for type 2 diabetes
An amino acid that affects insulin sensitivity, and may enhance glucose uptake and storage.
Gymnema sylvestre– Indian plant that may improve glycemic control.
Aloe vera –Juice made from aloe gel may decrease fasting blood glucose and HbA1C.
Vanadium- Mineral that acts as an insulin mimetic.
Chromium and cinnamon may improve insulin sensitivity.
Acupuncture is another alternative remedy for type 2 diabetes : It can act on the pancreas to enhance insulin synthesis.
Hydrotherapy– Regular hot tub use helps increase the blood flow to the skeletal muscles.
The American Diabetes Association encourages CAM users to report positive or adverse reactions to these treatments. Further trials measuring efficacy are necessary.
Most type 2 diabetes patients require oral medication in addition to CAM, diet restrictions and exercise. Talk to your doctor about which medication is right for you.
Oral medications reduce blood sugar, and some provide weight loss benefits. Most are associated with mild side effects that decrease after a few weeks of use.
Also Read : Diet and Food Tips for Diabetes
Biguanides block the liver from making sugar. They may lower cholesterol and have enabled users to lose up to 10 pounds.
Sulfonylureas stimulate cells in the pancreas to release more insulin. They may cause heart problems, low blood sugar and weight gain. This is amongst effective natural remedies for diabetes type two.
Thiazolidinediones for type 2 diabetes:
It helps insulin work better in the muscle and fat and reduce glucose production in the liver. They may cause weight gain. One thiazolidinedione, Actos (pioglitazone), can have severe side effects, such as impaired vision, bone weakness, heart problems and bladder cancer.
Bladder cancer involves painful tests, surgeries, chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Symptoms of bladder cancer are blood in the urine, increased need to urinate and discomfort while urinating. Thousands of actos users who have developed bladder cancer have filed an actos lawsuit.
Meglitinides stimulate cells in the pancreas to release more insulin. They may cause low blood sugar. Mixing with alcohol can cause vomiting, flushing or sickness.
Alpha-Glucosidase inhibitors delay the breakdown of polysaccharides. They may cause gas and diarrhea.
D-phenylalanine Derivatives help the pancreas make more insulin after meals. They may cause weight gain and dizziness.
DPP-4 inhibitors prevent the breakdown of a compound that naturally reduces glucose levels, allowing the compound to remain active longer. They may cause cold-like symptoms.
Before adding CAM to your treatment, talk to your doctor to see whether any oral diabetes medications you may be already taking will interact with herbs, vitamins or therapy for type two diabetes. Don’t start or stop a medication without talking to your doctor first.
Alanna Ritchie writes about prescription drugs and medical devices for Drugwatch.com.
Diet and Food Tips for Diabetes
First of all if you are a diabetes patient the first thing you should do is to consult a doctor. You should strictly follow the guideline given by your doctor and should also take dietary precautions for diabetes as directed.
Diet plays a major role in treatment of diabetes and hence it should never be taken lightly or carelessly. Dietary precaution and changes in diabetes aim to control diabetes thus a patient should abide by the guidelines provided by the doctor and dietitian. Patient may be required to make even drastic changes in diet and lifestyle but its all for good and worth it.
What is Diabetes,Diabetes symptoms, Causes and home remedies for diabetes
A simple guideline for a good Diabetes Diet will be eating the healthiest food in moderate amounts following a schedule that focuses on eating smaller meals at regular interval.
Why Do You Need A Diabetes Diet Plan
If you are diagnosed as a diabetic or even prediabetic for that matter, your doctor will refer you to a dietitian to get a detailed diet plan that focuses on encouraging healthy eating habits and routine keeping your sugar levels in consideration.
The whole purpose of a Diabetes Diet Plan is to keep your sugar levels within normal range. If you continue to eat carbohydrates and fats in large quantities it will result in excess calorie intake and your body will definitely suffer elevation in glucose levels. The glucose levels have to be kept in check, failing to do so may lead to high blood glucose level (hyperglycemia).
You can keep your glucose level in normal range by making healthy food choices and adopting good eating habits.
Food and Diet Tips for Diabetes
What to eat to beat Diabetes? (Do’s for Diabetics)
Bitter-gourd (karela): It contains plant insulin which is very good for lowering blood sugar.
It can be taken in form of vegetable and also as a juice. It is considered as one of the best food for diabetics.
Flaxseed (alsi in Hindi): It is very good source of essential fatty acid (Omega-3) and has also got hight content of soluble fiber.
Food rich in soluble fiber are good food for diatetics: Potatoes, onions, legumes, Broccoli, Carrots, Barley, prunes, Apples, Oats. There many benefits of taking soluble fiber it lowers cholesterol, checks constipation, encourages release and production of pancreatic enzyme, maintains insulin functions.
Cinnamon: This sweet spice has many proven incidences of reducing blood sugar levels thus helping in controlling diabetes. It can be taken in beverages like tea and coffee, add it to cereals like oats and also in desserts like apple and banana puddings. You can also take it in form of capsules.
Fenugreek seed (methi): They Contain amino acids (4-hydroxyisoleucine ). which stimulates the secretion of insulin from pancreas. Fenugreek seeds also helps in reducing cholesterol.
Fruits Permitted For A Diabetic : Fruits provide Carbohydrates and are also a good source of Vitamin C. Following Fruits are allowed:
Vegetables That Are Allowed
Root Vegetables like Carrots, Radish, Onion and Turnip provide very few calories and can be taken.
Leafy Vegetables : Low calorie Leafy vegetables like spinach and Cabbage can be eaten freely.
Vegetable Salad : Cucumber, Lettuce, Onio, Tomatoes etc. can be taken liberally as salad.
Salad Dressing : Vinegar, Pepper, Mustard and Lemon Juice can be uses to make salad dressing.
Meat Fish Chicken : Lean portions can be taken in moderation as they supply Protein. Avoid Fatty portions.
Eggs : Eggs are excellent food , diabetes patients can take boiled and poached eggs. Avoid frying Eggs in a lot of oil or butter.
Food To Avoid In Diabetes
- Limit the consumption of animal products like cheese, poultry with skin, ice cream and red meat etc.
- Avoid eating fried and salty snacks like chips and wafers.
- Don’t eat highly processed food as they are low in fiber content.
- Don’t drink sugar based beverages replace them with green tea(also add cinnamon to it).
- Don’t eat food prepared with white flour choose whole grains instead.
- Consider the above do’s and dont’s in your daily diet for diabetes, this definitely will ensure that you don’t raise your sugar levels.
- Jam And Murabba : These are best to be avoided by a Diabetes patient
- Pastries and Biscuits : All pastries should be avoided due to variable content of sugar and fat.
Fruits To Be Avoided In Diabetes
Dried Fruits : Dried fruits are not permitted due to high saturation of sugar.
Root vegetables like Sweet Potatoes and Potatoes should be avoided
Also Read : Natural Remedies for Type 2 Diabetes
Also Read: Home Remedies for Diabetes
Home remedies for diabetes
These diabetes home remedies helps in maintaining proper sugar levels thus they help in keeping diabetes under control.
What is Diabetes?
When there is increased glucose level in blood the person is supposed to be suffering from disease called Diabetes Mallitus commonly known as Diabetes.
This happens when our body does not produce or utilize enough insulin.
Insulin is a hormone which is produced in our pancreas, it helps to convert glucose into energy.
Types of Diabetes.
There are three types of Diabetes:
- Type 1
- Type 2 see Natural Remedies for Type 2 Diabetes
- Gestational Diabetes
Causes of Diabetes
- Stress and Hypertension
- Absence of Physical activity/excercise in daily routine.
- Some sort of disorders that affect the ability of pancreas to produce insulin.
- Excessive intake of carbohydrate and sugar in diet.
Diabetes is difficult to be cured for lifetime but proper levels can be maintained by maintaining good and healthy diet habits
Symptoms of Diabetes.
- Excessive thirst.
- Increased sugar level in blood.
- Excesive fatigue.
- Blurry vision
- Frequent urination
- Increase in hunger
Home Remedies for Diabetes.
- Bitter gourd is one of the amazing home remedies for diabetes as it reduces quantity of sugar from blood. Intake of Bitter gourd in diet help to keep diabetes in check. Drink bitter gourd juice (karele ka juice). Make juice from fresh bitter gourd (karela in Hindi) and and drink atleast 5 grams bitter gourd juice daily. It is difficult for many people to endure the bitterness but that’s where the remedy lies.
- Alternatively take thin slices of bitter gourd and dry them under shade (or in a drier) so as to retain the nutritional value. Now make fine powder (karele ka churna) by grinding the slices. Swallow 3-6 grams daily with water.
- Yoghurt, green leafy vegetables, coriander, coconut, cucumber, tomato, radish, lemon, marrow are beneficial for the patients of diabetes.
- Fenugreek Seed is also used as home remedy for diabetes: Soak crushed Fenugreek seeds in water overnight. Blend it in the morning and drink without straining. Repeat this continuously for two months. This will help to prevent diabetes from increasing.
- Chewing black berry leaves in initial stages of diabetes is helpful in preventing diabetes from getting worse.
- India Plum aka black berry (jamun in hindi ) is very effective in reducing glucose levels. Make a decoction by boiling the ripe fruit in water. Drinking this de-coction can help control diabetes.
- Alternatively you can dry the seed of black berry (jamun) and make a powder out of it. Take this powder 1 tsp in the morning (empty stomach) and 1 tsp in the evening. It will surely help in controlling diabetes.
- Black berry seed powder for diabetes : Along with the fruit the seed of the black berry is also an effective home remedy for diabetes. Dry the seeds and make powder out of it. take this powder every morning.
- Curry Leaves are also used as herbal remedy for diabetes: Chew 8-10 fresh curry leaves every morning. This will help in controlling diabetes.
- Powder cinnamon sticks : Eating 1 tsp of cinnamon powder is considered beneficial in diabetes management at home.
- Take fresh and tender mango leaves. Boil them in water, keep overnight, next day strain and store. Drink this empty stomach daily . This is yet another effective home remedy for diabetes.
- Garlic is considered good for maintaining sugar levels in diabetic patients. Garlic can be incorporated in daily diet or Garlic Cloves can also be chewed directly and in raw form.
- Chewing neem leaves empty stomach in the morning is another remedy to control diabetes.
- Bay leaf or Tej Patta has multiple medicinal benefits and it has been used since centuries for treating different diseases and conditions. Bay leaf improves insulin function and thus can be used as a natural remedy for diabetes mellitus. Grind dry bay leaves and sift it to make a very fine powder (tejpatta churna in hindi). Consume this with a glass of lukewarm water every morning. you will see results within 20 days.
A research study was conducted to determine if Bay Leaves Improve Glucose and Lipid Profile of People with Type 2 Diabetes. Read the Study In the NCBI website
- Indian goose berries (Amla), Turmeric (Haldi) and Fenugreek seed (Methi Dana in Hindi) (all powdered) mixed in equal parts and taken 1 tsp morning, noon and night with a glass of water is one of the most effective diabetes home remedies.
- Diabetics should take smaller meals in regular intervals instead of taking heavy meal at one time.
These are some simple home remedies for diabetes.
Hope you find this article useful please post your comments and suggestions, we value them.