You might not be aware of it all the time, but those little bundles of joy tend to pick up all
your habits, good or bad. As a parent, your kid looks up to you for almost all their lives,
however, it is in their early childhood that you need to implement healthy habits so that the
children would do the same. You can't only tell your kids what is good to do and what not,
you need to show them and be a positive role model. Here are some helpful tips on how to
Love all foods
Even as infants, kids know what they like and what they don’t prefer. However, kids
somehow don’t want to eat those greens, usually because they look yucky. Broccoli,
cabbage, cauliflower, eggplant, are some of the kid’s least favorite food. Your job is to
show how healthy and nutritional vegetables and other foods are. Prepare broccoli more
often and always offer it to your kids, even if they don't eat it, they might get intrigued. Or
after time, when you start ignoring their neglect or refusal of eating that food, they will just grab it when you are not watching. Above all, completely ditch junk food, and avoid
preparing greasy, sugared and unhealthy foods.
Wash the hands
Learning how to fight nasty germs and bacteria is more than vital. Not only for the health,
but also for the protection against illnesses and good behavior. Proper hygiene is the best
way to keep the entire family protected. Start by teaching your kid the importance of
washing hands before and after every meal, as soon as they enter the home after playing
or simply being outside. You can tell them "When we wash our hands, we get rid of dirt
that make us feel sick". Make the activity of washing fun by having some routine and
technique. Create sounds or sing The Alphabet as you wash hands because 20 seconds
is an ideal time to thoroughly wash, rinse and dry hands.
Look after the teeth
As soon as the first tooth sees the light of the day, you need to implement the habit of
brushing teeth. In developed countries like Australia, children are thought to brush teeth on
their own from an early age. The best way for them to learn how to brush their teeth is to
do it together. Stand next to each other, wet the brush, squeeze the toothpaste, and brush
the teeth for about 3 minutes. Also, they should learn how to floss, but they should learn
that once their teeth start fitting closer. Above all, specify the importance of going to a
regular dentist checkup. For that reason, it is important to find a skilled and highly trained
Wollongong dentist where your child will feel most comfortable and where you would get
Be in constant motion
Being physically active in all stages of life is extremely essential for your child's growth,
health, energy, and stamina. Childhood obesity is a big problem, and that is mainly
because nowadays kids spend too much time in front of TVs and computers playing video
games. In order to avoid child obesity, improve their health and boost confidence and self-
esteem, your child should be in constant motion. Explain to them the health benefits of
playing any kinds of sport. Swimming and doing athletics is great for kids aged between 4
to 8 years, but they can play any other sport they wish as long as they do quality
stretching. Spend time outside with your kids, walk the dog together, cycle in the park, and
try to be in constant motion.
Avoid Being Messy
Usually, after school, kids simply throw their backpack on one corner of the room, and
clothes and socks on the other corner. You need to teach them to always put the stuff on
its place. Especially, they should learn not to leave trash and garbage all around the
house. After food, and if they happen to snack in between meals, you should stress the
importance of throwing wrappers, papers, tissues, and other leftovers directly to the trash
bin. Teach them that there are a lot of germs and bacteria on filthy bags and that nobody
should pick after them.
Drink plenty of Water
Unless juices are freshly squeezed, you should not offer them to your kids. They are full of
sugar, and they don’t contain any healthy nutrient. Because of that, and for many other
reasons, they should drink plenty of water. Only tell them and if necessary repeat on and
on: “Water is healthy, soft drinks are bad for you”. Again, if they don’t see you buying and
drinking juices and sodas, they won’t ask for them, neither will they drink them at some
friend's birthday party.
Enforcing and teaching your kids about healthy habits is a long and demanding process
that takes time and patience. You only need to be firm and persistence and the result will
Motherhood teaches new things everyday, there is always a lot going on in a new mum’s life, as the baby grows you get completely freaked out the formula keeps changing and once the baby gets mobile life becomes a roller-coaster.
An outing with a toddler is fun only if you are well equipped, I mean the diaper bag of your baby, it must have all the essentials that your baby may require during his/ her outing.
Don’t feel alien if you are wondering what to pack in your toddlers diaper bag and what can be left behind as there are many new mum’s who are sailing in same boat. The fact is, your toddler needs one no. of everything be it food, toy, clothes or water.
The solution to this puzzle is a checklist for diaper bag. You can create a diaper bag essential checklist once and use it everytime you plan an outing with your little one.
Checklist of Diaper Bag Essentials
There are not few but several items that you need to put in your babies diaper bag, some are the essentials and other are optional things. Getting yourself a nice [easyazon_link identifier=”B00ZD3N4LQ” locale=”IN” tag=”natbeshomrem-21″]Diaper Bag[/easyazon_link] with separate compartments for everything is the need of the hour. It becomes easy to carry things as the compartments help in organizing the things you decide to carry in the most functional way.
- Diapers : A diaper is a must, you must keep 1 diaper for every couple of hours you are planning to be out and 2 extra diapers always.
- Wet Wipes: These are very essential, just in case your lil one messes up down there. I use the Johnson’s baby skin care wipes they have one small 20 wipes pack which is ideal for a short duration outing and the packet has a plastic cover that prevents drying up of wipes and retains the moisture.
- Extra Clothes : I always carry extra clothes for my princess as she is very active and loves to drink from her bottle on her own. She is a foodie and wants to taste everything that we eat outside and she hates bibs.
- Water / Formula feeding Bottle : I find breastfeeding convenient so I don’t carry formula feed while going out, but if you formula feed your baby you must carry it while going out and ofcourse a water bottle is a must have. If your kid is on formula feed keep pre-portioned bottles for them, this will save your time and efforts.
- Snacks : These little wonders love to munch while they are out. Biscuits and cookies are the best to carry while planning an outing with your baby. Use these in the time of meltdown as bargain chips and energy boosters when these curious angels get tired. Keeping dry snacks is a good idea as they are easy to pack and carry and also they wont get stale.
- A changing pad / mat : You will require it while changing the diapers, In India we make gudri, a layered mat made with several lining of cloth. I use this for my baby so I never actually bought a diaper mat but you must take one while going out.
- A plastic bag: To store dirty diapers and wet clothes. You cant go searching for a trash bin everywhere, these plastic bags will come in handy.
- Wash Cloth : Kids below 1 year of age though up quite often, thus keeping 2-3 wash cloths is a must.
- A Blanket : Toddlers are way too moody, they may fall asleep anytime, keeping a blanket is necessary to wrap them up for a cozy nap.
Diaper Bag Extras
If you still have some space left in the diaper bag you may put some extra things that are not the essentials but can come handy while to try to manage everything perfectly during your outing with the little one.
Pacifiers : These can soothe the little ones as they get cranky. Happy babies are always easy to deal with.
Nursing Pad : You may choose to feed your baby with the formula milk if you don’t find a comfortable place to nurse your child. You can conveniently use nursing pads if your BM output is high.
Toys : Carry one toy according to your child’s age, for below 1 year babies you can keep teether and rattles and for kids above 1 year you can keep any soft toy.
Diaper Rash Cream : If your baby is having diaper rash you must carry a rash cream, even if the LO is not having any rashes keeping a diaper cream always makes sense as the little wonders are too unpredictable.
I am just a learning mother and its absolutely possible that I may have missed something out here in my diaper bad checklist, do let me know what things do you carry in your toddlers diaper bag.