Ridges in fingernails
What are Fingernail Ridges?
Fingernail Ridges – Types
There are two types of fingernail ridges
|Vertical Ridges in Fingernails|
The formation of these lines on nails can also be a result of slow meatbolism, and deficiency of vital nutrients and minerals that make the building block for nails.
|Horizontal Ridges in Fingernails|
Horizontal Ridges on Fingernail
These ridges extend from one end of the nail to the other end horizontally. This type of ridges usually look ugly and they can be taken as an alarm for some serious health condition developing inside the body. They can be caused due to many underlying health problems like If you notice horizontal ridges on your fingernails than you should immediately consult your doctor. Beau’s line or beauty line is one special type of horizontal ridges that indicate serious medical problems.
What Causes Ridges in Fingernails
Also Read : How to keep fingernails healthy
- Aging is the most common cause of ridges in fingernails : As our age progresses our body system deteriorate and so does our nails, this is the most common cause of vertical ridges on fingernails.
- Malnutrition : Malnutrition means inadequate and improper diet (lacking in nutritional value). When our body suffer severe malnutrition it becomes weak and vulnerable to disease. The appearance of ridges in our fingernail can be an indication of malnutrition.
- Nail Trauma can also cause fingernail ridges : Lines on fingernails may occur when the nail has undergone a physical damage.
- Serious underlying disease : Horizontal ridges may appear on the nail if some critical medical condition is dwelling inside the body.
- Deficiency of protein and mineral as they are the building blocks of finger nails.
Ridges in fingernails can be avoided with following home remedies
Also Read :How to Do Manicure at Home
Nutrition for nails that helps to keep the fingernails healthy and get rid of fingernail ridges.
Mineral – Iron. zinc, silica
Home Remedies for Ridges in Fingernails
To cover the ridged appearance of nails store bought Nail Ridge Filler can be used. These ridge filling base coats works fine to hide the corrugation on the nails.
Home Remedies for Vertical Ridges in Fingernails
When you notice vertical ridges in fingernails you will first of all want to hydrate your body by increasing the intake of fluids especially water. Apart from hydrating your body you will also want to moisturize your fingernails externally. Following are some good and effective home remedies for vertical ridges in fingernails. These remedies also work for ridges in toenail.
- Keep your fingernails moisturized : Use beauty oils or nail moisturizers to prevent dryness in the fingernails.
- Intake of food rich in omega-3 fatty acid is also helpful in dealing with ridges in fingernails.
- Find out if you have deficiency of Vitamins or you suffer malnutrition. If yes than incorporate vitamin rich food in daily diet and also try to take balanced and nutritious diet.
- Massage your nails with jojoba oil once in a day preferably before going to sleep.
- drink plenty of water so that your body does not suffer dehydration
- Massing your nails with nail lotion that contains vitamin e oils is also a good remedy for ridges in fingernails.
- For instant fix you can use nail ridge fillers. These nail fillers will hide the imperfections of the nails and leave them smooth and flawless.
Home Remedies for Horizontal Ridges in Fingernails
Horizontal nail ridges are also referred as Beau’s lines. Horizontally ridged nails usually have corrugated appearance. The beau’s line on one nail can be due to any injury caused to the nail matrix. If all the fingers have developed deep ridges then the causes can be any health issue, nutritional deficiency, chemotherapy agents, metabolic disorders etc.
Latest posts by Karishma (see all)
- How To Choose The Best Citrus Juicer | Buying Guide - November 7, 2017
- Reverse Osmosis For Drinking Water Purification | Understanding RO Purifiers - September 26, 2017
- Most Affordable Beauty Subscription Box : GlamEgo Box India Review - September 8, 2017