Ridges in fingernails Meaning
What are Fingernail Ridges?
Fingernail ridges are parallel lines on the finger nail they may run from bottom of the finger nail to the tip of the fingernail or they may run from one side of the fingernails to the other side.
Fingernail Ridges – Types
There are two types of fingernail ridges
Vertical Fingernail Ridges :
The formation of these lines on nails can also be a result of slow meatbolism, and deficiency of vital nutrients and minerals that make the building block for nails.
Horizontal Ridges on Fingernail
These ridges extend from one end of the nail to the other end horizontally. This type of ridges usually look ugly and they can be taken as an alarm for some serious health condition developing inside the body. They can be caused due to many underlying health problems like If you notice horizontal ridges on your fingernails than you should immediately consult your doctor. Beau’s line or beauty line is one special type of horizontal ridges that indicate serious medical problems.
What Causes Ridges in Fingernails
Vitamin Deficiencies And Fingernail Ridges
Also Read : How to keep fingernails healthy
- Aging is the most common cause of ridges in fingernails : As our age progresses our body system deteriorate and so does our nails, this is the most common cause of vertical ridges on fingernails.
- Malnutrition : Malnutrition means inadequate and improper diet (lacking in nutritional value). When our body suffer severe malnutrition it becomes weak and vulnerable to disease. The appearance of ridges in our fingernail can be an indication of malnutrition.
- Nail Trauma can also cause fingernail ridges : Lines on fingernails may occur when the nail has undergone a physical damage.
- Serious underlying disease : Horizontal ridges may appear on the nail if some critical medical condition is dwelling inside the body.
- Deficiency of Vitamins, Protein and Minerals as they are the building blocks of finger nails.
Ridges in fingernails can be avoided with following home remedies
Also Read :How to Do Manicure at Home
Nutrition for nails that helps to keep the fingernails healthy and get rid of fingernail ridges.
Mineral – Iron. zinc, silica, Calcium
Home Remedies for Ridges in Fingernails
To cover the ridged appearance of nails store bought Nail Ridge Filler can be used. These ridge filling base coats works fine to hide the corrugation on the nails.
10 Home Remedies for Vertical Ridges in Fingernails
When you notice vertical ridges in fingernails you will first of all want to hydrate your body by increasing the intake of fluids especially water. Apart from hydrating your body you will also want to moisturize your fingernails externally. Following are some good and effective home remedies for vertical ridges in fingernails. These remedies also work for ridges in toenail.
- Keep your fingernails moisturized : Use beauty oils or nail moisturizers to prevent dryness in the fingernails. Moisturization is like the first aid for ridged nails, few drops of Olive oil, Sweet Almond oil, Flaxseed Oil and Vitamin E Oil helps in dealing with the dryness of nails. Soaking fingers in lukewarm water infused with 2 drops of Rosemary Essential oil is also a good remedy.
- Intake of food rich in omega-3 fatty acid is also helpful in dealing with ridges in fingernails.
- Find out if you have deficiency of Vitamins or you suffer malnutrition. If yes than incorporate vitamin rich food in daily diet and also try to take balanced and nutritious diet.
- Massage your nails with jojoba oil once in a day preferably before going to sleep.
- Drink plenty of water so that your body does not suffer dehydration
- Massaging your nails with nail lotion that contains vitamin e oils is also a good remedy for ridges in fingernails.
- For instant fix you can use nail ridge fillers. These nail fillers will hide the imperfections of the nails and leave them smooth and flawless.
- Use emery board instead of nail file to remove rough nail edges as an emery board is less damaging to fragile nails.
- Mild and gentle buffing will smooth out the ridged appearance of nails
- Get a Specialized Manicure : While taking manicure in a salon consider adding buffing and ridge filler base coats to the services.
Home Remedies for Horizontal Ridges in Fingernails
If you notice horizontal ridges in fingernails then you should not look for any other remedy but straight way head for an expert medical consultation. It is always good to have an expert opinion so that the problem can be triggered effectively however it is not necessarily always a serious concern or disease behind the horizontal ridges.
Horizontal nail ridges are also referred as Beau’s lines. Horizontally ridged nails usually have corrugated appearance. The beau’s line on one nail can be due to any injury caused to the nail matrix. If all the fingers have developed deep ridges then the causes can be any health issue, nutritional deficiency, chemotherapy agents, metabolic disorders etc.
Latest posts by Karishma (see all)
- 5 Homemade Substitutes for Beauty Products for Daily Use - August 18, 2018
- Natural Ways For Vagina Tightening : Home Remedies and Other Options - August 15, 2018
- Normal Delivery Vs. Cesarean What To Expect ? - August 14, 2018