Alum , Potash Alum and Potassium Aluminium Sulfate all these names refer to a chemical compound which is called Phitkari in India and is used in several home remedies and Ayurvedic medicines, one of its most popular uses is as an after shave. In India Alum has been used in water treatment since ancient times and is usually sold in form of blocks, these blocks can be ground to powder for using it in various natural remedies.
Alum is an excellent home remedy for pimple and acne treatment, back in 2007 when I suffered severe acne problem due to stress, I was struggling to stop the breakouts and to treat the ones that had already surfaced. I was prescribed Isotretenoin which only made the situation go worse. That was the time when I was trying almost every home remedy that came to my knowledge and to much of my surprise I found my ultimate solution in Neem Bark, but another remedy that impressed me was Alum which I have been using since then whenever I have a breakout.
In my opinion it is wise to use home remedies for acne treatment as it may take time but natural remedies certainly save you from the side effects that ointments and creams may cause. Alum blocks are inexpensive and very useful in curing those unsightly and painful breakouts.
Other common uses of Alum are
As after shave
In Tooth and gum Problems
In these years I have figured out a few most effective ways to use Alum on pimples which I am sharing here in this post. All the remedies listed here are to be applied topically and a skin sensitivity patch test is recommended.
Properties of Alum
Alum is a natural astringent
It is a natural antiseptic
Alum inhibits bacteria
How to Use Alum For Pimples And Acne
Both or Alum stone what ever you call it and Alum powder can be effectively used for treating pimples in many ways and with various combinations. Alum (phitkari / Fitkari in Hindi) has astringent properties and it kills bacteria it is used in many beauty and personal care products and it is already acclaimed as a natural deodorant and a conventional after shave. The most important thing to remember while using alum on acne and pimples is that you do not overdo it, as excess alum can aggravate the condition, be gentle while application and that will help you get the desired result. Alum can be used in following ways to get rid of acne and pimples :
Alum Block and Lemon Juice for Acne
- Warm up dry alum stones or crystals on a girdle.
- Crush it and make powder.
- Cut a lemon into half.
- Put the alum powder on the surface of half cut lemon.
- Press the powder using teaspoon so that the powder gets mixed with lemon juice.
- Now gently rub the lemon on face for 2 mins.
- let it dry for 10-15 mins then wash with lukewarm water.
Alum Powder and Witch Hazel for Pimples
- Mix Alum powder with witch hazel
- Soak a cotton ball in this mixture
- Dab directly on the pimple / acne. This shall clear up the pimples soon.
Alum Face Mask with Multani Mitti
- Make a face mask by mixing egg whites, powdered alum and fullers earth.
- Apply it all over the face and let it dry.
- This mask will not only help in reducing pimples and acne but will also control oiliness of skin, it will tighten the skin leaving it clear and smooth.
A Word Of Caution
Some remedies suggest rubbing alum block on the acne but if done too vigorously it may cause redness and discomfort thus worsening the condition. Always take a patch test before starting any home remedy.
Latest posts by Karishma (see all)
- Skin Care Routine For People with Acne-Prone Skin - June 21, 2019
- How to Start Weaning your baby : The Wean Plan - March 29, 2019
- Post Pregnancy Belly BeltsAnd Girdles Bestsellers | AB Belts To Wear After Delivery - February 15, 2019